This is a detailed guide on how to start Amazon KDP in Nigeria, read to the end to know how to start an Amazon KDP in Nigeria to earn an extra income.
Amazon KDP simply means Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing, it is a platform that allows you to self-publish eBooks, paperbacks, and hardcover books for free.
This platform can be very beneficial to you as a writer who has been writing for people to read for free without knowing how to monetize your skills.
Amazon KDP will help you make money from your writings, that’s if you know how to use the platform effectively.
If you do not know how to start Amazon KDP in Nigeria, read this article to the end to gain more insight.
Table of Contents
About Amazon KDP
Amazon KDP is a platform that allows you to self-publish eBooks, paperbacks, and hardcover books for free.
It does not only end there, you can have direct access to your book on Amazon, and create a product detail page for your book.
This platform gives you a lot of opportunities to expand by giving you the option to expand your book’s availability and make it more accessible to readers all over the world.
However, you do not have to worry about the ownership of your book as the platform gives you full rights to your book, which is not usual with traditional publishing houses.
Furthermore, you can publish different kinds of content through Amazon KPD excluding magazines, periodicals, calendars, or spiral-bound books.
You can publish content such as novels, book series, children’s books, comics, cookbooks, journals, poetry, textbooks, etc., and you can publish them as eBooks (Kindle) and paperback books.
Additionally, you can publish your book using Amazon KDP even if you have published it elsewhere if you own the rights to that book.
However, your book cannot be sold on other platforms if you have enrolled your ebook in KDP Select, which makes it exclusive to Amazon.
Requirements for Starting Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing
Below are the eligibility requirements for Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing.
1. To start Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing, you will need to have an android phone or laptop, and an internet connection.
2. You must have basic writing skills to be able to write your book.
3. To publish your book using Amazon KDP, you must be the copyright holder of your book and have the exclusive rights to publish it in all formats.
4. You will open a valid bank account so that payments for royalties will be sent into the account.
5. You will be required to create a listing for your book on the Amazon KDP dashboard.
How To Create Your Amazon KDP Account
If you have an Amazon account already, follow the steps below to sign in to your KDP account.
1. Go to https://kdp.amazon.com
2. Under Sign in with your Amazon account, click Sign in.
3. Enter your email address and password, then click Sign in.
4. Once you have logged into your account successfully, you will be directed to your KDP Bookshelf.
However, if you do not have an Amazon account, follow the steps below to create one.
1. Go to KDP and click Sign up.
2. Click Create your KDP account.
3. Enter your name, email address, and secure password.
4. Once you have created your account, you will need to enter author, payment, and tax information, follow the steps below to do this.
1. Add your first and last name or the name of your publishing company. Please, do not enter your pen name here.
2. Enter your business type (individual or corporation
3. Enter your date of birth or date of incorporation associated with the person or entity receiving payment.
4. Choose your country or region of residence
5. Enter the mailing address you want us to use for tax reporting purposes and royalty payments, and click Save.
It is worth noting that you have to provide your legal name in the Author/Publisher Information because your payment and tax forms will be issued under the same name. However, if you want to use your pen name, fill it in when you are setting up your book details.
Furthermore, Amazon KDP makes available different payment methods such as direct deposits, wire transfer, or check, follow the steps below to add a bank account.
1. Go to your KDP account.
2. Complete two-step verification.
3. Under Getting Paid, click Add a bank account.
4. Enter your bank account information according to your country/region requirements.
5. Click Add to save information. You will be notified with a green check that you have added your bank successfully, and then you click Save.
After adding your bank account, you need to provide a valid taxpayer identification because Amazon requires all publishers, including nonprofit or tax-exempt organizations, to provide it.
To complete your tax information follow the steps below
1. Go to Your Account.
2. Select Tax Information.
3. Click Complete Tax Information.
If you are updating your tax information, click View/Provide Tax Information, enter your Tax Interview information, and click Exit Tax Interview to save your changes.
How To Start Amazon KDP In Nigeria
If you are interested in starting Amazon KDP in Nigeria, then you need to read this section of the article to the end to gain more insight. Below are the steps you need to follow to start Amazon KDP in Nigeria.
1. Choose A Niche
The first thing to do before you start writing is to choose a niche you are good at. You cannot just write on anything, write on the topic you feel comfortable writing on.
Choosing a particular niche will help you stand out and be known for something and it will attract the right set of readers to you.
However, niching down does not mean you should write about anything, you have to go for niches that will fetch you the right audience and the money you desire.
2. Research Your Keyword
After choosing the niche you want to write on, the next thing is to research keywords in your niche. Researching keywords in your niche will help you know the topics that people search the most for and write on them.
Without researching your keyword, you may write on topics that people do not have an interest in reading and you would end up becoming discouraged.
3. Write Your Book
After researching your niche for keywords that people search most for, the next thing is to carry out elaborate research on the topic and start writing.
Writing is stressful but you must be willing to go through the stress if you want to be successful, remember, nothing good comes easily.
However, if you do not have the ability to write, but still want to publish on Amazon KDP, you can hire ghostwriters to write for you.
4. Create Your Front & Back Cover
After writing your book, the next thing is to create the front and back cover of your book. Creating the front and back cover of your book is not a difficult task, you can use Canva or Snapseed to create quality front covers.
You can also use the Amazon cover creator software to design your covers, this is not difficult at all, you just need to choose from the available templates.
However, if you do not want to go through the stress of creating the front and back cover of your book, you can hire a freelance designer to do that for you.
5. Publish Your Book
After creating the front and back cover of your book, the next thing is to publish your book. However, to publish your book, you have to follow the steps below.
1. Set Up your Amazon KDP Account
To publish on Amazon KDP, you need to set up a KDP account. The steps to creating this account were mentioned earlier, go and follow the process to create your Amazon account.
2. Create a New Title
After setting up your account, the next thing to do is to create a new title. This can be done by going to the Titles tab on the dashboard and clicking the Create New Title button.
From there, you will be taken to a form where you would enter all the information for your new book.
You will first fill in the details on the Details tab. Here, you will be required to provide a title for your book, its author, and a brief description. After this, you can upload your manuscript and eBook cover under the Excerpt tab.
The next step is to set the extent you want clients to preview your book before deciding whether to buy it or not. The last step is to set the price for your book on the Pricing tab and decide whether you want it enrolled in KDP Select.
After providing all the information, Amazon will show you the royalty rate your book is going to be paid based on its list price.
3. Enter your Book Description
Book description is very important when you want to publish on Amazon KDP. Your Amazon Kindle book description is like your paperback cover, it should be concise and appealing.
The book description should contain the title of your book, your name, your book genre, and a summary of the plot. You have to include whether the book is a series or not and the appropriate age range the book is for.
4. Select your Keywords and Categories
After entering your book description, the next thing to do is to select your keywords and categories.
Choosing the right keywords will increase your chance of being found, and make sure you select up to nine keywords that reflect the content of your book.
5. Upload an EPub File of your Book
After you have successfully selected your keywords, the next thing to do is to upload the epub file of your manuscript.
The reason it is advisable to upload your book in an epub form is that epub is compatible with all Kindle devices and apps.
Your manuscript is successfully uploaded when you receive a message intimating you of the success.
6. Upload your Book Cover
The next thing to do is to upload a JPEG to Tiff version of your book cover. To do this, go to Bookshelf and then select Cover.
You will be presented with two options which are Create New Cover and Upload Existing.
If you have a cover file already, choose the second option and find the file on your computer, if you do not have one, you follow the option to create your cover. Once the upload is successful, you will receive a notification.
7. Set your Price
The last thing to do is to set a price for your book. The price of your book determines the royalties you will be earning from Amazon.
8. Enroll in KDP Select
After everything, you can decide to enroll your book title in KDP select or choose not to. There are many benefits of including your title in KDP select including increased visibility and additional royalty.
KDP Select is a free 90-day program for Kindle eBooks only. It gives you the opportunity to reach more readers through Amazon and Kindle promotions. When you enroll your Kindle eBook in KDP Select, it is automatically included in Kindle Unlimited.
Kindle Unlimited is a subscription program that allows readers to read numerous books as they want. When you enroll in KDP Select, your books are automatically included in Kindle Unlimited.
Additionally, when you enroll your book in Amazon KDP Select, your digital format book will be exclusively available through Amazon KDP, and during this period, you cannot distribute your book digitally anywhere else, including on your website, blogs, etc.
9. Click the Publish Button
Congratulations, you have gone through all the steps of book publishing and it is remaining for you to hit the publish button.
However, before you hit the publish button, you must make sure your content is original and no other person has published it somewhere else.
You must also ensure that your covers are beautifully designed to attract readers. Once you ensure that everything is good, you can click the publish button and publish your book.
How to Receive Amazon Kindle Payment in Nigeria
Amazon would need your account information to send your royalties when you publish on the platform, so below are what you need to do to get paid by Amazon KDP in Nigeria.
1. Open a Payoneer Account and get a US account number for free.
2. Follow the process of registration carefully and when you are done allow the team to review your account.
3. Once your application has been reviewed, you will receive an email confirming your account is active.
4. Log into your Payoneer account and click on receive.
5. From the drop-down menu, click on Global Payments.
6. Select your US account to see the number and other information.
7. Open a new tab and login into your Amazon affiliate account.
8. Navigate to settings, and under Payment and Tax Information, select Change payment method.
9. From the page, select Direct Deposit as your payout option.
10. Select the United States as the country where your bank is located from the list.
11. Fill out the form provided to you properly using Payoneer US bank account details from your Payoneer account. Remember.
12. After filling out the form, click Submit, and that is all.